Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Background

May get around to expanding this section, though I doubt it given my time commitments, but I will give you a bit of my background.

My initial dream was to be an archaeologist and study dinosaurs, which changed to marine biologist in first grade when I learned that to study dolphins that is what I would have to be.  The public school system being what is was, I figured out that to specifically study dolphins again I would have to get my Ph.D.  So at 6 years old, I was already aiming to get my Ph.D. to study dolphins solely because I liked dolphins.  Now in the proceeding years I have gained more experience and detailed reasons as to why I want to study dolphins other than because I like them, but my primary reason remains the same as that 6 year old girl.

After I completed my undergraduate degree at Randolph-Macon Woman's College and studied abroad at the University of Canterbury in Christchurch, New Zealand, I spent a year volunteering and interning to gain field experience in marine biology.  I was able and lucky enough to receive a Ph.D. candidacy a year after graduating, some people in the field I know are still applying 6-7 years later.  I am one of the youngest in my department, if not the youngest, and many people in my field wait until they're 30s before pursuing a degree.  I have never been one to do things by the norm, like any Macon Woman.  My parents also supported my financially through a lot of this which I will forever be thankful to them for allowing my to pursue my dream even though I know they don't get it.  No on in my immediate or extended family is involved in fishing, hasn't been for generations, probably hasn't been since dating back to when our ancestors invaded with the Normans.

During my year off, I worked as an intern with the Whale Center of New England in Gloucester, MA and volunteered at Sea Watch Foundation in New Quay, Wales.  In between, I worked for Ocean Leadership on NOSB.

This past year I have started at George Mason University as a Ph.D. student under Dr. Chris Parsons.  I am taking the maximum number credits and applying for an insane (by my friends', adviser's, and the school's words) number of credits next semester, but I will be done in five years come hell or high water.  Plus, I can sleep when I am dead.  And being busy has always meant I will do better.  The end of my first semester has seen me at my first conference, which I will be blogging about in the oncoming posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment