Thursday, December 1, 2011

My 1st conference as a Ph.D. student

25th ICCB: Marine Think Tank
Arriving Nov 29th – Dec 1st


            Usual nightmares of travel.  Was packing until the minute I left, like usual.  Overpacked, as usual.  Teased by Duc, as usual, for it.  Had teary phone calls with loved ones and clueless messages from friends, I mean really guys!  Come on.  I may disappear to various parts of the world for months at a time, but it shouldn’t be too hard to recall that I am only going for two weeks this time.  Ok, it might be, but come on! 
Got to the airport with an hour to spare which was wasted on getting new tickets.  Book my flights through a travel agent (NEVER AGAIN) who put my name down as KATE and not CAITLIN ANNE, even though I specifically told her to, so it did not match my passport = big NO-NO!  A United rep. was kind enough to alter my tickets, but it means I will have to get my tickets altered for every leg of the trip, not a headache you want to deal with when your flight is late and you’re rushing to get to the next flight which leaves twenty minutes after you land.  That is exactly what happened by the way. 
The first flight was a nightmare and I don’t know what meditation state I had achieved to not blow a gasket but I hope I can find it again (probably from stressing about finals).  Imagine: seat in the last row near the bathrooms, aisle seat but next to two 87/89 year-olds who were married less than a month ago and are on their honeymoon, behind two three-month old twins, and adjacent to a screaming toddler.  The toddler hit decibels I thought were myth.  Twins weren’t so bad, but the two lovebirds making out next to me did gross me out a bit.  Great to find love at any age, but not great to make-out in public. 
            The second flight was good, watched a few Horrible Histories and Things to do in Auckland.  Fell asleep to Bad Bosses.  Love Air New Zealand!  Great surface, nice staff, hilarious safety video with HOT All Blacks J.  Offer great food for dinner and breakfast accompanied with good wine and mimosas for free.  Arrived 40 min early.  Had a bit of a hassle getting through security – brought my dirty hiking boots which had to be cleaned.  Had the time to waste so all good.  Got informed that cabs are NOT the way to go and it is better to walk, take the bus, or go via shuttle.  Spent 33 NZD on a shuttle, great guy – joked about too much Mexican (another driver sleeps with a new guy every week and the latest pick was a Mexican) so after a good trip interspersed with sex jokes, I arrived at O’Rourke Hall.  Gave the driver a tip, I know you don’t have to tip in NZ but he was a great driver!  Had to wait outside the hall for an hour before getting checked –in, arrived way too early.  Still a bit cold in NZ L as it is only just the beginning of summer. 

Day 1 – Dec. 1st
            Arrival, got checked-in and will pay-up when I clear my credit card….yay for self-funding!  Going to be awhile before I go out and party (not sure who I am kidding with that one).  Yay for being female and a graduate student and it being the holidays.  Love you friends and family! 
            So lots to do – Hobbiton, Wine tour, Dolphin watching, sky diving, etc.  What did I do?  Ate breakfast, answered e-mails, submitted HW, and slept after unpacking.  Did plan out my conference schedule and how to get done the three things I wanted to go this week – dolphin watch, sky walk, and wine tour.  Not sure when I am going to my papers…and Yami will be coming to party next weekend!  Lots to do as always!  Still, the feeling of being back in NZ = priceless. 


Finally got out around 6 PM, hit a few shops and picked up a few X-mas presents.  Got lost getting into the city, yes I know my ability to get lost legendary but I found my way back.  
Cool cathedral for my friend Nicole Andelfinger, who was my best bud when I was last in NZ!

Walked down to Britomart (love being able to walk everywhere) and checked out the ferry and train station.  
Saw a cool Santa display on Queen St.
Walked around a bit more looking for a place to drink and eat.  Chose the Corner Bar.  Great place!  
Awesome bartending!  Recommended drinks based on my taste and original drinks.  Real bar tending, finally!  Chose a champagne ham and cheese sandwich with pumpkin fruit and a biscotti with raspberries and orange crème on Whittaker's chocolate mousse.  
            Eating out in NZ is expensive!  Thankfully my accommodation comes with breakfast and Internet.  Cannot believe the airport charged for Internet, sheesh!  Oh, my accommodation – small room (bed, desk, bathroom, and common area).  Love it!
            Ladies, want to make friends in a new place?  Go out, sit down with a book, you’ll get bothered in five minutes by a creep and a local lady will come over and save your ass by kicking him out.  This real-life Gaston swaggered over totally drunk and proceeded to lean against my body with his crotch on my hip.  Not a bad looker, probably in his upper 30s and lower 40s.  He insulted my book (“Look, a woman wrote it, no way she knows what she is fucking talkin about, she is a woman! Women are pussies and cannot surf”) and asked if I was reading it because I wanted to fuck a surfers because surfers were fucking hot and that he was a surfer.  Tried to actually have an intellectual conversation with him, not happening, and thankfully one of the bar tenders came over and told him to shove off.  He went off on her and caused a massive argument in the bar.  Didn’t get kicked out though.  His friend didn’t even step in and tell him to shut-up.  Looking back, I wish I had drop-kicked him in the nuts but I have never dealt with someone that rude verbally before.  Well, I have but not in a social situation.  Won’t be happening again, ever.  Next person who tries it is not going to be getting polite speak, but a rude and physical shove-off.  He harassed me right out the door as I left, just ignored him and went on my way – best action probably as he didn’t follow me further and he may have if I had interacted with him. 
            Pretty tired by 9:30 PM, so I headed back, figuring I would have plenty more nights to go out and spend money and see Auckland night life. 

First Day of the Conference – Dec. 2nd
Start  
Got up at 6:30 AM, but took forever to get ready and arrived 30 min late to the conference.  Turns out, like all conferences, they started late so I walked into the start of the conference.  Conference speaker was a bit hurried but kept the audience in good humor.  Love, love the set-up of Auckland campus, very nice and up to date!  Got to see my advisor’s name on the front screen (Dr. Parsons) but he dipped out to another conference, so I think I am the only representing GMU here.  Kinda scary, but I will do my best!  Have noticed I am one of the only ones in a suit as most are casual, startling lack of marine-decorated clothing though.  Hope they bring the ocean-geek out at some point!
            Very important mention of food!  I am but a poor graduate student and will be taking my meals at morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, and happy hour.  Breakfast, as previously mentioned, is lovingly provided by O’Rourke Hall.  Kiwis love their drink, like the Scots, but have upped it in quality by tying it with education on local ocean/seas. 


Session: Pelagic Ecosystems and MPA Management
            Run by Lance Morgan and Sara Maxwell, the session was supposed to start at 10:30 AM so the presenters were not quite ready but covered fairly well with a lengthy introduction/background of the inspiration for their session.  The two work with the Marine Conservation Institute and have partnered with NOAA on a pelagic MPA (NOAA is everywhere).  The session is fairly small compared to the more popular Big Ocean Network session at 50 people, but I think this session will accomplish a bit more in terms of contributing to ongoing research.  The session holders are looking for our input to their work while introducing us to their type of MPA.  Specifically, the new type of MPAs the USA is looking at are ones in the high seas, in the pelagic zone with special focus on enforcement and follow-up monitoring.  This will most likely affect some types of marine mammals (False Killer Whales) and open sea fish.  Quite a few NOAA attendees. 
            First break of the morning, food!  Oh, and meet and greet, so time to schmooze…. Or at least get a better idea of those involved in the marine world.  Spoke with Brett Hardt from the institution which oversees NOAA from the legal side of things.  Spoke on the usual issues with Japan and enforcement in the USA.  Nice muffins and weak tea made by yours truly.
            Session begins!

            The session lagged at points when people got territorial about enforcement and definitions, but otherwise was well-directed and an enjoyable learning process.  We discussed pelagic marine protected areas, which generated much discussion at the various breaks and lunch (awesome food!!!!).
            Aside on food.  Breaks consisted of tea and coffee with muffins and chocolate/berry mousse cakes = in heaven.  Lunch was curry chicken kabobs, vegetarian quiche, chicken and brie sandwiches, and mini-cupcakes with mango-kiwi punch.  Food is an A++++!
            Back on topic, the session started out as a background and informatory that transformed to discussion and group input.  Could have had more of a clear example to deliberate on but that was fixed at the end of the session by a suggestion from one of the attendees (NOAA).  During breaks, the session continued to be discussed by members.  Had some very interesting conversation on the fishermen of Gloucester, y’all have quite the reputation!  Budding marine biologists beware.  If you’re looking for trial by fire, go for it. 
            At the end of the session, we headed down to the Hauraki Gulf Happy Hour to enjoy NZ wine and a presentation on the HG by three excellent speakers.  My presentation guide gave a rundown of Who’s Who of the speakers, one of the guys is responsible for the marine GIS tracking program for marine mammals, pretty cool and very intelligent guy.  Wine was good, got to chat up some of the students helping out with catering, very down to earth nice guys.  Meeting people has been fun though I am, as always, rubbish with names.  Know the faces though.  Even met one guy who looks exactly like Dr. Parsons, albeit a bit younger.  Also got recruited to help out tomorrow with sign-in and take souvenirs back to the States for Dr. Parsons, always get my assignments from him while out at grabbing a drink J.  Lecture was very interesting, even after three glasses of wine, though I am very sleepy now.  Annoying jetlag.  Still have tons of HW to do and need to eat dinner, but c’est la vie.  Should be fun!  


Evening Out
            Enjoyed a nice wander down to the wharfs looking for people at the conference.  Couldn’t find anyone and we were getting hungry so we headed back up to Queen and High St and checked out a sweet upstairs pasta place (cannot for the life of me remember the name).  Decided I would pass on dinner and check out dessert, got a vanilla ice cream drowned in a lemoncello liqueur and a Rosebud cocktail.  Absolute dream!  Got compliments on my drink and dessert.  The drink actually smelled of roses and tasted what I would except a rosebud to task like – light and slightly sweet with a twingey tang.  Was asked to go out dancing, but decided I couldn’t make it since I am still pretty jetlagged.  Heading to bed early!

No comments:

Post a Comment